Friday, January 4, 2013

Butternut Squash Challenge #3

With all the mouths to feed on Sunday's at our family lunch gatherings, I'm always looking for a rather large dish to share.  Sometimes it turns out to be the same old food but often I'm looking for something new to try.   So here's the third dish of my self-imposed butternut squash challenge and definitely not the last butternut squash dish that I'll make.



Even with it's tough exterior, which can be baked with peel on or off, it's a very mild, very filling and healthy vege. I asked the young girl at Isom's Orchard if she had ever cooked a butternut squash and she said "no, but it tastes like whatever you cook it with".  I got a kick out of her comment and it's pretty much the truth!

This Butternut Squash Gratin recipe turned out to be very similiar to a "regular" squash casserole.  It has lots of onions and I used some of my home dried thyme.  I choose to leave the crumb topping off.



And yes, that's where I helped myself before I thought to get a picture.  And, in spite of my awful kitchen lighting, it is that bright yellowish orange color!



Now the question is, what should I do with the squashzilla?  Ha ha!

2 comments:

  1. Your Butternut Squash Gratin looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks so yummy and comforting too. I wish I wasn't the only one who liked squash around here!

    ReplyDelete

Meet me at the Well and let me know what you think!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...