Monday, April 16, 2012

Side Table Metamorphosis

Trying to furnish a house or even a room by refinishing or redoing old stuff has kept me busy for a while.  I had no trouble finding projects to fill the time in my empty nest! 

This 1980's side table cost $4 at a thrift store.  It was solid and not in real bad shape, but looked like someone had used it as a work table.   Yep, if you've been reading along, another redo for the college house.


My upholstery instructor said he likes to use Cabot penetrating stain, so that's what I'm using.  Hopefully after a good sanding, the dark walnut color will look something like this when it's all done:


Pottery Barn

It already looks much better after just 1 coat of stain!  


I applied 2 coats according to the directions on the can.


Then applied the sealer, 3 coats. 




Seems no matter how thin I thought each layer was, there is still a drip every now and then!



I liked how the stain didn't quite penetrate everywhere.  It left a lightly distressed look without even trying!  I'm not sure if this is because it still had some old sealer that I missed with the sander or if the oak wood just didn't accept the stain. 



I delivered it to the college house and didn't get photos of it in use!   But I was pleased with the way it turned out.  Pottery Barn-ish.  I think a basket with a throw or books underneath would complete the look!

Do you have a favorite Pottery Barn side table?

Kerry


you are talking too much

1 comment:

  1. Great redo and the best thing is you didn't buy something new made in another country! And I have a favorite everything from Pottery Barn.

    ReplyDelete

Meet me at the Well and let me know what you think!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...