Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Strawberry Freezer Jam

The temperatures this spring have been so hot here in the south!  We went from a very mild winter directly to summer.  One of the best things as a result of these temperatures have been these beauties:


Aren't they just gorgeous!  And they taste SO GOOD!  

As a child, I loved to pick blackberries.  Yes, just walk in the briar bushes with the snakes and pick them.  Then eat them.  (Hee hee, I never saw any snakes but that was my only fear!)   Later on, I remember asking my grandmother if she would help me can blackberry jam.  The look on her face was "oh my"!  I know she thought her canning days were over and she didn't have to do that anymore!  I reassured her I would do all the work if she would just guide me.  And she did.

Grandmomma

Canning is something I have done only every few years or so.  This is the last jar of the plum jam I made a couple of years ago.  The plum tree is now gone and I just made this to see if I could!  I like to look at that label, the DIY instructions can be found here.   Next on my canning to do list is pool room slaw.  But that's later in the summer, maybe after some good locally grown cabbage is here!


Back to the strawberries.   The Sure-Jell quick and easy freezer jam is the way to go.  It doesn't last as long as canned but that's ok.  It's fresher and is not difficult to do this. 


First I set aside a bowl full of strawberries for myself.   If there's not enough for the jam, too bad, these are mine.  Yes, I am selfish like that when it comes to strawberries!


Wash the containers and have them ready first thing.



I used the mini chopper to cut up the berries...do not puree.   I am not usually a big fan of these mini choppers.  For the small amount that they handle, it just doesn't seem worth it to use them.  A knife and cutting board can usually get the job done just as fast and less gadgetry to wash and put away.  


The mini chopper worked well on the strawberries though.   I think I just didn't want to chase them all across the counter and the floor!   See that leftover Spicy Dr Pepper Pulled Pork thawing in the background?


Measure EXACTLY the amount of fruit.  I get worried when the directions use ALL CAPS and strict words like EXACTLY.  What if I mess it up? 


Also measure the sugar EXACTLY.  Ugh, there's that word again!



Things start moving faster at this point.  The directions say to "bring to a boil and stir constantly for 1 minute".    Now, EXACTLY what is a boil?   Does the minute start after I see 2 bubbles or after lots of bubbles?   Is the EXACTNESS of a boil not as important as the EXACTNESS of fruit and sugar?   With only a 1 minute window, this is information I want!

I'm sure I stirred for a few seconds past the 1 minute and it is ready to put into containers.


I just used whatever 1-cup plastic containers with lids that I had on hand.   Put the lid on and let them sit several hours on the counter before putting them in the freezer.  Of course, one of these is going directly in the frig for eating right away!

This is EASY and will be so good this winter when the fresh strawberries are long gone.


And now for that Spicy Dr Pepper Pulled Pork Soft Taco for dinner!




Kerry

I'm linking with Balancing Beauty and Bedlam

2 comments:

  1. I love strawberry freezer jam! I want to make some this year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh that looks so delicious! My sisters & I haven't made jam in years. We need to make some again.

    ReplyDelete

Meet me at the Well and let me know what you think!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...