Friday, June 29, 2012

What I learned at VBS

Wow, I missed almost 2 weeks in blogland!  I knew it had been a while since I posted on my bloggo, but I didn't realize it had been THAT long.  

The absence has been for a good reason though.  Among other things, I have been at Vacation Bible School.  I love to teach children about Jesus!   I have been helping with VBS for several years and it's one of those mixed bags of a lot of work and a lot of reward.  And at the end of the week, I am both happy and sad that it's over, not to mention exhausted!

Here are a few things I learned at VBS:

There are no easy jobs.  You would think that snacks would be an easy job, right?  No, just ask the people working in the snack area!  If everyone just does a part, even a small part, everything comes together.   That's the way the body of Christ works!

We may never know the impact what we do has on others.  I already said it's a lot of work with the coordination, getting volunteers, decorations, etc., not to mention managing the kids.   If just one child or even one of the volunteers grows in their life with the Lord it is worth it. 

Include everyone.   No, I'm not a Democrat, ha ha!   God loves everyone and as difficult as it is, we should too.  When the 2 and 3 year olds show up, include them.  There is a way.  Invite the parents to stay and participate.  Grab another willing adult or teen whose job is simply to hold hands, play or read a story with them!

Talk to people.  Especially those I don't know.  I am not a big talker.  Sometimes this is difficult for me, it requires effort.  What do I say to them?  I usually just introduce myself, say "nice to meet you" (like most southerners do) and go from there.  Since I feel I am a better listener than a talker, maybe they will do the talking!  Maybe I'm just supposed to listen.

I was a crew leader for the preschool and kindergarten.  I was told I was the best one for this job.  Who knew?  Those of you who know me might be surprised to hear that!  I'm still trying to figure out what I've learned from that!



1 Corinthians 12:4-6 There are different kinds of gifts, but the same Spirit distributes them. There are different kinds of service, but the same Lord. There are different kinds of working, but in all of them and in everyone it is the same God at work.

1 comment:

  1. I remember my days at VBS (many years ago!) very fondly. Kudos to you for teaching!

    ReplyDelete

Meet me at the Well and let me know what you think!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...