Thursday, October 24, 2013

Jack's Brunswick Stew

With fall in the air, despite 80 degree plus temps outside, Trisha Yearwood's uncle Jack's Brunswick Stew sounded really good!  My mother made Brunswick stew when we were growing up and it's been a while since I've had it.  Some BBQ joints around here make it, just be prepared for a "smoked" flavor though.  I was glad to see a stew on the Sweet As Pie Cooking Club.

The recipe called for 1 lb each of beef, pork and chicken.  Since it's difficult to get this small amount at the meat counter (unless you ask the butcher which I usually don't), I chose a package of beef for stew, a small pork roast, and a small package of chicken breast.

This recipe said to puree everything.  I guess I don't get out much because stew, in my opinion is not pureed.  Soups may be pureed, but not stews.  I guess it's a regional thing.  It took about 4 hours to make it so if I pureed everything it would have taken even longer!

I used less corn than it called for but other than that, I followed the recipe...well, except for puree.

Anyway, to make a 4 hour long story short I thought it was good.  The Bassman ate a bowl and didn't care for more.  

Huh?  He didn't like it?!

Not really.

Now what was I to do with the rest of it?  It makes a LOT!  These things have a way of working themselves out.  I took a bunch of it to his aunt's house since his uncle had just passed away and the family was coming in for the funeral.



I liked it, but won't make it again.  And that's a potato chunk in the photo, not pureed.

Sorry Jack and Trisha.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Meet me at the Well and let me know what you think!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...